Live transmission of CBD Workshop on monitoring the utilization of genetic resources under the Nagoya Protocol
A global capacity-building workshop on monitoring the utilization of genetic resources under the Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and the Fair and Equitable Sharing of Benefits Arising from their Utilization (ABS) will be held from 30 September to 2 October 2019, in Bonn, Germany.
The workshop is organized by the Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity and hosted by the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety of Germany with the collaboration of the ABS Capacity-Development Initiative and the United Nations Development Programme, and through the financial support provided by the Government of Japan, the European Union and the Government of Germany.
The workshop will provide an opportunity to raise awareness, build capacity and share practical experiences regarding the implementation of the provisions of the Nagoya Protocol related to monitoring the utilization of genetic resources with a view to overcome the practical challenges of implementation as Parties build and improve their national ABS systems.
The main objective of the workshop is to support Parties in operationalizing the monitoring system established under the Protocol. In particular, it will focus on:
- The importance of the ABS Clearing-House and how information sharing plays a key role in the implementation of the Protocol;
- The overall system for monitoring the utilization of genetic resources through the ABS Clearing-House;
- The importance of granting permits at the time of access and publishing them as internationally recognized certificates of compliance in the ABS Clearing-House;
- The concept of checkpoints under the Nagoya Protocol, their functions, and options for their designation;
- The concept of the checkpoint communiqué, how it is issued and how it supports monitoring utilization; and
- The development of a national road map to operationalize the system to monitor the utilization of genetic resources.
Click here for more information and agenda. Some sessions of the workshop will be transmitted live, as follows:
September 30th, 2019 sessions:
9 – 10.15: Opening session and Session 1 (part I). Introduction to the system for monitoring utilization under the Nagoya Protocol. Register here.
9.35 to 12.15: Session 1 (part II). Introduction to the system for monitoring utilization under the Nagoya Protocol. Register here.
October 1st, 2019 Sessions:
9.30 -10.30: Session 4. Recap of the previous day and introduction to today’s activities. Country experiences: the ABS Clearing-House. Register here.
10.45 -12.30: Session 5. Country Experiences: Permits and certificates. Register here.
13.30 – 15.30: Session 6 (part I). Country Experiences: Monitoring utilization and compliance. Register here.
15.45 – 17.00: Session 6 (part II). Country Experiences: Monitoring utilization and compliance part I. Register here.
Please note that live transmissions will follow the agenda, which might experience eventual changes during the workshop. In this regard, keep in mind that start time of live transmissions may vary.